Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Day 10: July Food Challenge $1/1/1

Sunday!
Money: (already spent), trips to the grocery store-- 0!
Today, we had a rebellion.
Refusal to eat dinner.
Granted, I was trying to use up a food item that I had already served (in different ways) twice already this week. Granted, I knew that none of them particularly like said food item (but we had an excess of it, and we're being thrifty).

Flat out revolt.
As in first requesting a bowl of breakfast food instead for dinner.
Secondly, by pulling said offensive product out of meal and flat out refusing to eat it. One of them side-stepped by inquiring, "Tell us what you both really dislike being served for dinner?"

Smart kid.
"Things with eyeballs still in them."
(I wished I had thought of that, but sadly, all I could think on the spur of the moment was the ubiquitous, "everybody-hates-it-except-old-people" despicable, oil-filter-of-the-body protein.)
"Well, that's how we all feel about this stuff." the kid replied bluntly.
I laughed. To despise such an all-American food!
Yet, if I was honest, even as a kid, I didn't like the stuff either.

"O.k.," I said calmly, "I'll never serve it to you again for as long as you live. However, if you get invited to someone's home and they serve it, please be polite."
They agreed. Our two dogs, Molly and Pepper, are in for a treat these next few days as they finish off the leftovers. As for The Spouse and I, we'll choose our food battles.

It does help that we were never exactly fond of it either.
So, did they eat the breakfast stuff for dinner?
No, I had baked some other protein to help with tomorrow night's meal, which they had a portion of.
There was also some yummy protein leftover from breakfast.
We made do with that quite contentedly.

I think the kids were shocked and relieved that we listened to their food preference and acknowledged it as legitimate. If they decided to go vegetarian? vegan? Vegetarianism easily, even on this food challenge. Veganism? As long as they understood that water was going to be their main source of liquid, sure, I'd let them do that. Yet, I don't see that happening, at least, not for a few years, here in this house. That's not really the point, though.

What we should all learn from today's lesson is that for any food plan to work, it has to consist of food the entire family is willing to eat regularly. If they are not, change needs to happen immediately. Otherwise, the plan is doomed to failure. This particular plan of extreme thrift needs to be flexible enough to adapt to the preferred tastes of five distinct persons. It needs to not ever feel like torture or torment or a pain in the buttocks. Now granted, the six-year-old would eat an outrageous meal plan, if allowed. One that involved a world of no crusts, little spice, and no mixed food items, just as openers! So, let's keep it real and say firmly and cheerfully, "within reason."