Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2016

Day 7: July Food Challenge $1/meal/person/day

Oh my goodness! How good it is not to act out on negative feelings! Yesterday, in my pity party, I could have blown it. After all, Amazon is just a click away. As are half a dozen other food sites, I've been known to virtually lurk around.
But we stayed within budget.
The $1.21 is still here.
Incredibly, the grumpy, sulky feelings truly did passed. I didn't sleep until after 2 a.m. It was bad. Really bad. But rest eventually came and morning light broke and I was alive and solvent.

Folks, this may have been a first time in my adult life that I did not pacify my bad mood, fear and irritation with the double combo of either food or shopping! Or any other kind of binge.

Day 7 was a good day. Short on sleep, but a really good day.
Money spent: $5.90
- gallon of milk
- can of green beans
- 5 bananas ($1 rack)
- 2 pounds grapes ($1 rack)

Took one of our stockpiles of reusable bags with me and dropped by Kroger on the way in to work this morning. I was in and out of the grocery store in less than 5 minutes. Literally, walked back to the milk department via the produce $1 rack, carefully picked out what looked like the best of the two family fruit options, chop-chopped over to the milk, walked up the aisle with the green beans and to the cashier. And then clip-clopped my high-heeled self right out the door and on in to work.

Early. With my lunch already made and ready for later.

I felt strong, efficient, ready to take on the day.
Now, my hope is that, since I got the bigger container of milk, tomorrow I actually won't have to go to the grocery store. Tomorrow, the plan is that we just eat from what we have.
That makes me excited!

And to The Spouse, who's jumped right on board: well done!
We tried an experiment in cookery with Strawberry Top Water.
Felt good to be so "useful" with our berry tops, but in all honesty, it was deemed too subtle a flavor to be worth the effort. Still, we tried something new. To the barely-above-tap-water experiment, we added some highly concentrated powdered astronaut drink mix. All subtlety was lost. The container stands empty tonight.

Perhaps the best part of the day: the six-year-old didn't complain about dinner!
Tomorrow is Friday breakfast where I and one of my sweet co-workers cook breakfast for the staff.
It's going to be good.
I wish you could join us.
Can you guess what's on the menu?
You got it: BACON!!!